still one light to go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for all those replies regarding my lighting.

I still have one remaining issue so any feedback would be great.

My problem has been we have a light switch which controls the main living room light and the landing and in the far of the room another light switch which controls the main living room light and a light over the table.

on fitting a new crome fitting with two buttons (i believe this means two Gang please correct me if i'm wrong.

there are two wires coming from the side one black and one red which i pursume is light main living room and from the other side there is also a red / black wires for the light above the table and also the earth which is connected to the metal fitting housing.

The old switch had (common L1 L2) top and (L1 L2 common) bottom there was a brown wire from common to common and red/black to the top two and red/black to the bottom two.

when taking the fitting out of the box looking at it from behind the switch has two sections.

. L1.............L2..L3

L3.....L2 .......L1

so from what i have read from comments from the guys who helped me getting started yesterday.

I put a brown wire from L1 to L1 (common to Common )
Black to L2 top red to L3 Top
black to L2 bottom and red to L3 bottom.

with this combination the living room light can be switched on from both switches which is great, but still unable to switch light above the table.

i also tried
L1 to L3 Brown wire
Black to L2 Top Red to L3 top
black to L2 bot and red to L1 bot

and this did the same but still know table light.

I did however swap a black wire from bottom to top and the light above the table did switch on on the wrong switch and no power to the main living room light.

one of the comments about the mutimeter yesterday made perfect sense but i wouldn't know where to star with one and i 'm not that flush to call out an qualified electrician.

Any feedback would be great thanks again for the feedback yesterday

Sponsored Links
try having the brown wire from l1 to l1 again, but have the red wires in L1 and L1 too.

Then have the balck wires in L2

Hope this makes sense

Chris
sorry just checking do you mean

Brown from L1 to L1 top to bottom
both redwires in L1 top with the brown
and the 2 rmaing black wires one in L2 Top and one in L2 bottom

Sponsored Links
thinking about it you shouldn't need the brown strapper. one red goes to one L1, and the black that goes with that red goes to L2
Then in the upside down one, the other red goes to L1 and the black goes to L2 again.

so just as you said really lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back