Stipped off the old paint, how do we prepare the repaint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My GF and I have just stripped off two of the walls in our new house. We were pretty much forced into this because there was some damp (now sorted), which caused some of it to peel off. The walls have a very uneven textured effect.

The walls now look like this (grey bit is bare):

mh82kz.jpg

We are hiring a wall sander tomorrow in order to sand the remaining texture off the walls and are then planning to paint them. How should we prepare the walls for painting? We are going to use Dulux paint.

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hi, clean/sand the wall off, pva it to seal it, pva again and then skim them over.

Skim =plastering :idea: DO NOT APPLY PVA if you are just decorating. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED . PVA is used under a new coat (skim) of plaster. It helps plaster stick to walls - IT STOPS paint sticking. :!: :!:

I was hoping to get away without having it plastered (I've heard it's a difficult job to get right so would probably have to pay someone). I've sanded it all down, and it is now looking ok, apart from some hairline cracks. I've bought some PolyCel Hairline Filler, but I've read some not-so-great reports of it so still not sure what to do!

My main worry (apart from the cracks) is whether or not the paint will apply properly to the surface, and what preparation I would need to do to it. Can anyone offer any more advice?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Given that you don't want to plaster the walls I would suggest that you fill the cracks and any imperfections, sand the filler back and then line the walls.

It will take a day to line the walls. This is about the time that it would take to replaster but you will be able to do it yourself and then paint over the paper the next day.

Lining paper is far more forgiving and easier to work with than wall paper. Well within the scope of most competent homeowners

Could'nt agree more, opps is spot on, lining paper is by far the better and cheaper option.

Dec.

BTW Bram

The picture helped a lot but could you resize in future as it overides the css and forces the page to become too wide meaning that you have to scroll to the right to read posts.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back