stone barn conversion, any suggestions would be welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a home that it part stone (rubble filled stone walls) dating back to early 1900's and a later extension of block done in the 90's. It is all pebble dashed with sand and cement. We are thinking of linking the house to our stone barn( again it has been pebble dashed!!) and putting a downstairs living area and upstairs bedroom and en-suite size circa 20 x 20 feet and high enough to have 2 floors. The problem is we have a limited budget. It would need a new floor including DPC and insulation put in and a new roof all of which seems straight forward once the walls etc have been inspected to identify if they are structurally sound and then some re-pointing work etc done. As we would like to ensure it has good insulation properties it has been suggested to me that when putting the floor in we should 'TANK' or DPC the walls by folding up the walls a DPC membrane and then dry lining by building a wooden frame to house the DPC and insulation etc and also be used as a framework to support the floor for the upper bedroom. I can understand how this would potentially damp proof the building especially as three quarters is already plastered on the outside. I guess there are 2 questions I have 1) if we take the dry lining route will this work and if done right will it remain structural sound and stand the test of time? 2) Is there a better way to do this? should we chip the pebble dash off and render or re-point the outside with a lime mixture to allow it to breathe and then dry line and insulate the inside to create a warm and insulated property? I guess it comes down to the funds as well but I want to know the options to consider, with potential pitfalls.. Any advice will be welcome
regards
TC

Sponsored Links
Richard I will check your link out.

I guess I want to try to stick to building regs as ultimately it would require a sign off but I am happy to listen to any views regarding my questions

Sponsored Links
Well in this neck of the woods Building Control will not entertain a barn conversion without internal tanking. No matter what the external finish is. I guess you also get some pretty harsh weather too, so I would have a chat with your local BC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back