Stop cock has no handle??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

The stop cock is located under the kitchen sink, the spindle for the handle is their but not the actual red hande used to turn. I have purshed a new stop cock but we are unable to turn the water off from outside the property as it is shared with 5 other houses!

Can we turn the stop cock off using grips of somesort then replace the old handle with that from the new stop cock?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can try to turn it off with mole grips or an adjustable.......then fit a new stop tap above it and reopen......the problem may be that you can't shut it or if you do, reopen it. I can't see what the issue is in turning off the supply outside. Just speak to neighbours, get all tools ready and turn off. 1 hour tops if you prepare. Otherwise, call in a proffesional. It is possible to freeze it but i wouldn't recommend it if you are not familiar/experienced. After all your all in the same boat eventually.....

Stop cocks don't have red handles! Those, round, "wheel" heads, are for gate valves, which aren't used on the mains.
Stop cocks have a "bar" across the top, which id usually a sort of squash fit so isn't replaceable. Wheel heads usually wouldn't fit, but mole grips always do!

If it doesn't want to turn, loosen the nut which is round the sppindle, and/or heat it up.

Thanks for your replys. Think it will be the mole grips. One of our neighboors is a grump s0d and dontthink they would agree to having their watter turned off even for 5minutes.

Sponsored Links
Had to turn 4 off to see which one I wanted recently.
It wasn't the one which was supplying the angry woman with soap in her hair.

Tell grumpyguts that HIS water supply needs maintenance and he can have it done free, or pay someone else.

Sometimes these grumpy folk are not too bad if you explain the problem and ask when he would be out as you would like to do the work then, so as not to inconvenience him. That neighbourly thought may be enough to soften him up enough to be cooperative.

If he's really intransigent, suggest you'll have to call in the water board but you've been warned they might shut off the supply for the whole day.

I do like your word neighboor (boor - (n) A person with rude, clumsy manners and little refinement) Was it a typo or is this likely to be in the next edition in the dictionary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back