Mains Stop Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help Help Help

My internal stop cock to turn the water off is leaking. The mains stop cock is pre 1900's we've cleared the mud out but there appears to me nothing at the bottom to turn off the water board have been totally unhelpful. Can U freezer/Crimp Lead pipes to make a repair or would the pipe have to repaired live if we can't locate a mains stop cock to turn it off!! 3days and counting. To poor to call plumer

Sponsored Links
How far down have you cleared, the stoptap could be up to 2'6" deep although I have come across some as deep as 3'6". If it's not there then keep pestering the water company, sometimes other utilities put the paving flag back in the wrong place when they have dug up the footwalk, the only way to find it then is to get the water company to trace it out to the footwalk.

Hi Keego,

Been down has far as it seems to go approx 2ft6" then it just seems to be concrete like can't get any further exploring the possibility of moving the flagstone around water hole (losing hope) it just seems so bafling never had this problem B4. As for the water board after 5 calls there policy is unless your under at least 1ft of water no can do. I'm now on there list and they will renew main stop cock service can't give a time, date, or year. Still leaking looking into freezing lead pipe to repair!!

Thanks Kev Plumb Looking into buying a freezing pack if all else fails

Sponsored Links
Which bit is leaking on the stoptap, is it the gland nut ? if so PTFE tape it. Or is it the wiped lead joint either side of the stoptap? if it's this bit which can split along the joint, then tap the solder over with a ball pein hammer to close the split. this will hold as long as it takes for the water board come out to you.

see other thread on stopvalves.

If the service pipe is leaking outside the building but on your side of the valve, that (unfortunately) is your problem! If it's the valve itself, that's the water company's property and they must fix it - but probably they'll take their time unless it's flooding the street.

(As you may have gathered, I think they're being a bit short-sighted about stopvalve / service pipe issues - but it's up to them.)

kevplumb said:

Maybe would be a better answer m8 :LOL:

Under mains pressure you would need to stem the flow first or you have no chance unless you use gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back