Stop cock leaks when closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mains stop cock leaks when closed or partly open, but never when fully open. I have tried tightening the packing gland nut, but it's as tight as I can get it.

All the advice I've found says close the stop cock before attempting to repack the gland, but this is when it does leak. Is this the correct advice for all types of stop cocks?

Will

Sponsored Links
Hi Will..

Not really an answer but I've had success twice by removing and replacing just the tap/gland (i.e. not the whole stop tap cos I always end up with the wrong size!! :oops: )

The only thing to watch is the depth of the replacement tap part, some are longer than others..

I'm no expert, but hope this helps :D
Rob

it leaks from gland when closed ?

remove gland and place ptfe tape then re-place or just fit new.

Yes, it leaks when closed (that is shuting off the mains water) so should I close it or open it before removing the gland and placing ptfe tape? (In the hope of reducing water spillage during the repair)

Will

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back