Stopping odour travelling along cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you can help with a problem I've been having for a year or two.

Basically I'm getting a lot of odour (cigarette smoke mainly) coming into my house from next door.

The problem is the cavity wall. The house is a terrace (1930s) and there is a hole in my neighbours 'inward skin' of the brickwork - I've been round to have a look. This allows their cigarette smoke to enter the cavity wall where it then tracks along and enters my house where any holes exist such as: wiring through the wall, water pipes exiting my house and where joists go into the cavity wall, allowing the smoke to travel under our floors.

I have tried to seal these holes where possible but am fighting a losing battle as there is basically a void of noxious smell and smoke the entire way along the rear of my house.

My neighbour won't accept there's a problem and refuses to fill the gap in her wall (which would solve the problem).

Is it possible for a builder to effectively seal our house off from theirs?
I have considered cavity wall insulation but don't really want to as there is a conservatory room on the back of our house, which I don't want to be cold in winter (ie it gets heat from the house currently).

Also our boiler flue goes through the cavity wall. Will this cause problems with cavity fill?

Any ideas?
I'm told by the cavity wall people that they would have to 'brush off' our house from our neighbours first to stop the fill spreading. I doubt thus alone would be airtight, but is there some similar solution we can use to seal us off.
It's getting beyond a joke now, the house fills with smoke (I'm not talking a faint smell!)

Please help if poss.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back