Stopping sheet steel from rusting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some sheet steel that over a year has developed a light coat of rust, despite being indoors.

What's the best non-flammable coating to use? It's out of sight so doesn't need to look pretty. Would car spray paint or lacquer do the job?

Sponsored Links
indoors, red oxide primer will protect it, plus any household undercoat and gloss.
On large flat areas I find the primer goes on more smoothly if you add 10% white spirit and stir or mix very very very well, as it contains lots of solids. You may need two thin coats.
You will need to add the gloss if it is damp conditions e.g. a shed.

you have to use an oil-based (white spirit) primer and paint not a water-based as water will trigger more rust.

assuming the existing rust is very faint, wire wool will rub it off. If more significant, use Kurust.

You can use car sprays if you have money to burn.

Aldi have some metal paint at the mo and its good stuff, only in black,white and green,the latter I painted a rusty trailer frame in 5years ago and its still sound...5 quid for a can. thats for brushing on.
litl

Sponsored Links
If you can't be fussed about removing the rust, you could wipe it down or spray it with Owatrol Oil (available in tins and aerosols).

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/owatrol-oil/

I use it as a paint additive to extend the "wet edge" period but (according to their marketing) the makers noticed that fishing trawlers have less rust than other boats and concluded that it must be something to with the oils released during the fish gutting. I have no idea how apocryphal that is though.

It dries to a clear flexible coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back