Storage heaters v Gas central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at a property at the moment which has storage heaters (on Economy 7) in lounge and hall and convector heaters in bedrooms and bathroom.

I have been told that this kind of heating is very expensive and inconvenient with regards to timing of the release of heat if you are out at work all day, and was wondering if gas central heating would be a better option?

I have been quoted £275 for connection from mains, and approx £3,000 for installation including materials. (3 bed semi detached)

Does anyone have experience of changing heating system from storage/convectors to GCH?

Kind regards

Callum

Sponsored Links
GCH will be cheaper to run and far more controllable, it's quite common to rip out storage heaters and put a proper system in

Has to be Gas, no contest IMHO. Storage heaters 'charge up' overnight on cheap rate electricity then slowly release it during the following day.

However, they are difficult to control, on a really cold day you may find they 'run out' of heat too soon, then needing to be put on 'boost' to keep rooms warm. This uses standard rate electricity so becomes expensive. Also should weather suddenly warm up, the heaters may still have the stored heat from previous night to release, making rooms uncomfortably warm.

Gas CH has the benefit of accurate timing, system can be set to switch on proir to your arrival, allowing you to come back to a warm house, and thermostatic control to give a precise temperature in the rooms. Gas is also cheaper! :cool:

Sponsored Links
What is fuelling most electricity generation now? Gas! Why? It's cheaper!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back