Storage Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a storage heater in the living room that doesn't seem to heat the room throughout the day and evening. Would buying a new heater make a difference? It's likely the heater has been there for many years.

I have a small one bedroom flat. Which would be the best kind of heating for me?

Also, the bedroom heater does not work at all. Is there anything I can check before calling someone in?

(I've just moved in to the flat so this is my first time using the heating)

Sponsored Links
thats storage heaters all over, we had one in out flat on maximum input and min output and it was cold in the evening. They just dont work really, ok in an office but not a home. Nothing to sugest to replace it unles syou have gas or a coal fire.

as for whay they dont work sometimes ours woudl blow its heat fuse if thinsg were piled on it..its usualy under the cover and looks like a big fuse, it just melts if it gets too hot....

Thought they were pretty rubbish.

What's the cheapest kind of heater to use over the winter? Oil Filled Radiator?

I lived in a flat in London, long time ago with storage heaters it was toasty all day. Almost certainly the thermal fuse is gone, you can change it in 5 minutes. It's just a piece of lead-like metal which melts if the thing overheats. Could also be the element - changed one once by unstacking all the bricks inside - probably not recommended.

Cheapest is probably what you have as it uses the off-peak electricity, but then the downside is that you have heat 24 X 7 (when it works!). All electrical heaters are 100% efficient and all pretty much the same running costs - HIGH!

Sponsored Links
Sammz said:
Thought they were pretty rubbish.

What's the cheapest kind of heater to use over the winter? Oil Filled Radiator?

well, as we didnt have any choice but to use the Nightstore heaters, we had it on max charge and min output. Put bubble plastic over all the windows and a heavy curtian over the door.... and used a fan heater at night when we needed it (i made a duct to pull warm air from the cieling down to floor level).. and wore two jumpers and a hat sometimes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back