storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've recently moved into a new flat. I have these ridiculous old creda storage heaters. I can't get them to come on . There meant to come on at 12.30 on economy 7. There's a converter button which does work. But that just blows out hot air and I imagine expensive. Any help ? Gemma

Sponsored Links
If all of them aren't working then it's more than likely a supply problem at your CU. Are all your 'trip switches' in the on position?

I have one in kitchen and one in lounge. Only the convector button works on both. I'm not sure as I have 4 boxes on the wall and I'm not very good at this stuff. I'll try attach some photos

20160202_222611.jpg

Attachments

• 20160202_222611.jpg
    20160202_222611.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Pic 1 is your on peak board. Circuits marked storage heaters on this is the convectors in your heaters.

Pic 2 is your off peak board. Push all switches up.

Pic 3 is your switch fuses. Guessing the one on the left feeds your off peak board. Push that up also.

There will be double pole switches by your heaters as well which need to be turned on.

There meant to come on at 12.30 on economy 7.

When you say 'come on at 12:30' you understand that is when they start to heat up by using off-peak electricity. The heat is then released into your flat over the course of the day. That's why they are called storage heaters - they store heat generated from off-peak electricity and release the stored heat later in the day.

Thanks will . I won't get elecucuted tho will I lol. They are creda 79153. They look ancient

Thanks newboy. So at 12.30 they wont actually let heat out? Just store heat.

They'll start to emit a little heat at 12.30 when the E7 kicks in. Basically storage heaters contain a type of brick, that is able to absorb heat then slowly release it over the following hours. Some heat will naturally escape during the overnight heating process.

All the consumer units in your pics have RCD/RCCB protection, a safety device required by today's electrical regulations, which will kill the electricity long before it kills you, should be perfectly safe to turn everything on as previously mentioned. Should any of the breakers 'trip' off, then that is a sign of a fault and the cause inspected and remedied before resetting the breaker.

Ok the switches are all on. I'm still Alive :) I'll see if they come on at 12.30 now. Thanks very much guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back