storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine needs to lay up his '62 plate diesel Ford Focus.

I have suggested disconnecting the battery earth & inflating the tyres to a higher pressure.
The employment of axle stands etc. are not an option in his case.
Starting the car & manoeuvring back & forth, so the tyres are left in a different rotation, has been ruled out as it's felt that may cause problems with the DPF.

Living nearby I could occasionally charge the battery for him & pump up the tyres, but would long term disconnection of the battery be detrimental to a modern car's electrics?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A friend of mine needs to lay up his '62 plate diesel Ford Focus.

I have suggested disconnecting the battery earth & inflating the tyres to a higher pressure.
The employment of axle stands etc. are not an option in his case.
Starting the car & manoeuvring back & forth, so the tyres are left in a different rotation, has been ruled out as it's felt that may cause problems with the DPF.

Living nearby I could occasionally charge the battery for him & pump up the tyres, but would long term disconnection of the battery be detrimental to a modern car's electrics?
What's wrong with pushing it back and forth by a foot or so at intervals ? Obviously doesn't address your other questions.

I would:
Change all filters, and the oil
Top up the tank with quality diesel plus an injector cleaner
Have the car run once a month, drive it if possible to keep the clutch and brakes sweet
Use a smart charger
Don’t put it away wet.
Is the car garaged?
John

Sponsored Links
Leave the handbrake off, use a brick or wedge to keep the car still

I would:
Change all filters, and the oil
Top up the tank with quality diesel plus an injector cleaner
Have the car run once a month, drive it if possible to keep the clutch and brakes sweet
Use a smart charger
Don’t put it away wet.
Is the car garaged?
John
Car will be parked on the drive of an unoccupied but secure, private property .. so my response is :

a) I'll pass that advice onto the owner
b) ditto
c) driving not an option as car is no longer insured & as for 'running' it, will that not risk DPF clogging?
d) no power available on site
e) not applicable (see f)
f) no

Thank you John.

As the car can't be shifted really, you have to expect the brakes to be locked on, due to rain splash or general dampness - a bit of an occupational hazard!
As for running the engine, I'd still do it but once started keep the engine running at around 2000 rpm until well up to temperature, which would maybe take you 15 minutes or more. There would be a slight chance of the DPF not liking it, but I think you'll get away with it.
If you expect the battery to hold it's charge it will be necessary to run the engine, or maybe use a solar charger or whatever. Using a car with low battery voltage throws up all sorts of issues later!
I have done this with two cars to date - one was an Audi TT diesel, and one a Merc. Both diesels, but both garaged - luckily. They stood for 18 months each, but the Merc battery discharged very quickly - over a fortnight, in fact.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back