STORING PAINT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
Wonder if anyone can help. I store all of my old paint indoors in their original cans but one has still managed to go rusty. The paint is ok but when I remove the lid flakes of rust get into the paint.

Has anyone come across a suitable plastic container for storing old paint.

Many thanks in advance.

F.

Sponsored Links
Old paint should really go through a sieve, old tight at least, regardless of rust, old paint chips as it would need slight warmth and a really really good stir to get the best results

People don't do this today, you can tell when you see their painting.not in my house.

I put a bit of polythene over the paint tin top before sealing lid it prevents anything falling in when opening.
Also put my paint tray inside a carrier bag before use so when finished I just remove bag a throw, no cleaning required.

I prefer the plastic paint tubs as they seal much better than tinplate ones, and don't go rusty.

It is usually tins containing water paint such as emulsion that rust. An oil paint tin is more likely to rust from the outside if it is in a damp shed.

Sponsored Links
Evening all,
Wonder if anyone can help. I store all of my old paint indoors in their original cans but one has still managed to go rusty. The paint is ok but when I remove the lid flakes of rust get into the paint.

Has anyone come across a suitable plastic container for storing old paint.

Many thanks in advance.

F.
As someone has said already plastic tubs are better asd they don't rust. Additionally sore upside down then if a skin does form it is at the bottom of the can, the paint can then be decanted for stirrind so avoiding skin in the paint. smaller quantities can be stored in tubs that have contained putty or fillers as long as clean. hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back