Stove Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It’s not like me but I jumped into having a wood burning stove fitted without first doing much research. I was quite naive in thinking I could just bang a wooden lintel in and I had my builder do this and repoint the brickwork before getting quotes from 2 companies for a log burner supplied & fitted.

The first company told me my installation was ok and suggested a low profile log burner with air gap and twin walled flue to comply with regs. On the face of it everything looked great and I paid a deposit because the second company didn’t bother to show up to quote.

A week later I had a knock at the door. It was the second company I’d asked for a quote. I thought I’d let him have a look since he was there but he seemed gobsmacked that the first company had said my installation was appropriate and said there was no way they could comply with regs and keep the wooden lintel. He pointed me to part J and suggested I replace the lintel with a stone one. He was really helpful. I rang the first company to cancel the installation because there was no way I was putting my family at risk.

Then a quote for £1300 came through on email from the second guy for a log burner that he recommended but with no details (make/model) - just a poor quality photo. I spent the evening trying to match the image online and eventually tracked it down to an ESSE 1, which seems to be priced around £400. Is it me or is this guy having a laugh? Essentially he’s asking for £900 to install this log burner! My builder is sorting the lintel. No flue liner is required or work on the fireplace, so should be a straight forward installation I would imagine?

Having looked around there’s a couple of local installers asking £160 - £200 for installation only. There seems to be lots of burners available in the £700-£1000 range which look a lot better than what I have been quoted for.

Does anyone have any log burner recommendations? The opening is 590mm wide x 750mm high and there’s 710mm from the back of the fireplace to the combustible wooden surround of the hearth so I think the means I’m restriced to 710mm - 150mm(clearance at the back) - 225mm(clearance at front to combustibles)= 335mm depth. I’m looking for something modern-ish (not overly contemporary) in the 5-7KW range.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back