Stoves Prelude ES550 oven element faulty again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the element in the above oven December 2014. The local spares shop could only supply a 2300w element rather than a 1600w (from memory).

All was okay but there was no heat in the oven last night, so it looks like the element has gone again. The fan is running and the hobs are fine.

Could there be something else at fault here i.e. a regulator or is it he cheapy element to blame (£20+ vat) from local spares shop.

I can fit a new element easily enough but don't want to do it every few months.

Thank you
Richard

Sponsored Links
Possibly cheap element but would expect it to last longer. A higher wattage element will just mean the oven gets to temp quicker.

Really you need to test the thermostat and element. Do you have an oven light, that normally turns off when gets to temp?

Hello yardie, The oven temperature light is coming on when the oven is switched on. The fan also runs as soon as the oven is switched on.

This is the same as when the element went last time.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your comments.

The place where I got the part from said I cant exchange the faulty element as I fitted it! I'll find another supplier for the next replacement.

Cheers
Richard

Ideally you need to remove the element first and inspect for damage if unable to test.

Check fan is clean and not greasy/dirty and does always work fine.
The thermostats should also be checked to ensure they cut in/out or out/in at the correct temps.
Thats probably why no return allowed as 'engineer' would have also tested these, also its an easy get out clause.

Thats probably why no return allowed as 'engineer' would have also tested these, also its an easy get out clause.
Not sure it is a legal get out under the sale of goods act though, especially if you were not given written terms & conditions at time of purchase. You would really need to test it for open circuit before pursuing it though as it would be embarrassing if it turned out to be ok.

But even if it is a faulty element whos to say what caused its premature failure?
I am not supporting the retailer but could be due to a failing thermostat, fan or blocked airway,those were my points above really.

yardie,

The fan spins free and is protected with a casing.
Its is clean of grease and when spinning you can feel the air flow created by the fan.

By the time I've driven to the shop and argued I could have gone to an alternative I've found. The new shop quoted me £25 + vat and suggested the "failed" element is poor quality although they'd have to check it.

They will test your old element for you? Sounds good.

Of course just giving you a couple of pointers to check to prevent another quick failure.
Fan def attached firmly to spindle so when motor spins it drives the fan, it is poss the fan is slipping on the spindle, someone had this very fault not so long ago though not his only issue. On the face of it sounds like its ok.

Get an oven thermometer for when its working again so you can check temps though I suppose if you have not had problems cooking,(over/under cooked, extended cooking times) then stat is probably fine too.

But even if it is a faulty element whos to say what caused its premature failure?
Yes good point but that could apply to any complete electrical appliance, I'm not sure spare parts are treated any differently under the sale of goods act.

Very poor customer service! Especially if he was not even prepared or willing to come to some compromise i.e discount on replacement.

Name and shame him!!!

The place where I got the part from said I cant exchange the faulty element as I fitted it!
Tell him that's b****cks, and that if he does not refund your money (you do not have to accept an exchange) you will:

1) Immediately hit him with a "small claims court" claim for a refund plus expenses.

and

2) Go to Trading Standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back