Strange fungus or algea growing in my new bathroom sink pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts,
I had a new bathroom installed and a few weeks after I noticed a strange fungus or algea growing in my new bathroom sink pipes. It is solid and grows inside the pipes, up to the plug and blocks the pipes. The only way to get rid of it for a while is to pour in loads of chemicals and perform some heavy plunger activity. but it soon grows again.
My plumber said he has never seen anything like that before.
Has anyone an idea what this could be? And how to get rid of it for good?
THank you!

Attachments

• signal-2024-03-06-215522_002.jpeg
    signal-2024-03-06-215522_002.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 72
  • signal-2024-03-06-215534_002.jpeg
    signal-2024-03-06-215534_002.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Were the waste trap and pipes all new?

I get that in my bathroom basin drain, I just clean it out every 6 months. I think it is just general gunk that forms by brushing teeth, and washing hair etc.

Sponsored Links
I get that in my bathroom basin drain, I just clean it out every 6 months. I think it is just general gunk that forms by brushing teeth, and washing hair etc.
thanks but definitely not just usual gunk. This stuff is solid and texture is like morels! and it grows from the pipe walls in and up and doesn't just flush away, you have to scrape/heavily plunge to get some of it off.

thanks but definitely not just usual gunk. This stuff is solid and texture is like morels! and it grows from the pipe walls in and up and doesn't just flush away, you have to scrape/heavily plunge to get some of it off.
Mines the same.

Is it an internal bathroom without natural ventilation?

In years gone by you could have asked your environmental health office to analyse it to see if it is a health hazard. Not sure if the same service is available today but might be worth asking your local office.

Caustic soda* solution will shift it.

* H&S warning: dissolves skin, eyeballs etc, handle with due respect.

In years gone by you could have asked your environmental health office to analyse it to see if it is a health hazard. Not sure if the same service is available today but might be worth asking your local office.
thank you, that's a good idea. Will try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back