Strange heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just replaced a leaking copper cylinder on a pumped heating system, that has a Honeywell V4073A1039 Mid position valve. The hot water works fine, but the heating only works until the tank stat switches off but then works again if you set the programmer to HW off ie. then the pump cuts on and off with the room stat, so these are both ok.
I replaced the programmer but problem still exists, can this be the diverter valve?
If so why would turning the HW off fix it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is a problem with the valve wiring. When hot water is selected at the programmer, but the cylinder stat is satisfied (set temperature reached), it has a contact inside that switches over supplying a live to the grey wire on the motorised valve. (No live on the grey wire prevents the valve opening to the heating only position)

When hot water is switched off at the programmer another changeover switch supplies a live to the grey wire and so the heating works.

Suggest you check that the motorised valve grey wire gets a live supply from the hot water off connection from the programmer and also the cylinder stat when in the “satisfied” position.

Thanks for your answer :)

But would this stop the pump from even switching on when the tank stat is 'satisfied'?

Sponsored Links
As a further tip, my guess is that the wire has pulled out of the cylinder stat when you disturbed it, or the stat contacts are not changing over properly.

Thanks for all your replies Stem :!: :!:

I will check these things and let you know how I get on.

Great to have such a fast & good response
Thanks again :D

Well I checked everything out you suggest Stem and all seems ok, so tried a new valve head, no change. :(
I am only seeing around 60v on grey wire once tank stat is satisfied and CH & HW selected but 240v when HW deselected, remember this is a new programmer on the original backplate so wiring has not changed and connections buzz through ok. :?: :?: :?:

That sounds like your problem. When the cylinder stat is satisfied, the contact should switch over and put 230/240v on the grey to keep the CH going.

Are you getting 230/240v on the common of your cylinder stat when the programmer is selecting HW on? If so sounds like your Cylinder stats not switching over.

Dont assume that ALL programmers are compatable with ALL backplates!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back