Hot water / programmer problem-New mid position valve fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive just replaced my mid position valve. Old was acl lifestyle and new drayton MA1 679-3. Programmer is a drayton tempus 6.

Ive now got the problem where everything works fine apart from one thing. The programmer now has no control over the hot water. Heating is fine.The hot water is always on but is being regulated by the cylinder stat so not a major issue but i want to get it back to on /off twice a day via programmer. I suspect a simple wiring fault as new valve is working fine.

Ive wired it as follows;

Grey - cylinder stat satisfied / HW off
White - room stat calling
Orange -cylinder stat calling / Live boiler
HW on - Cylinder stat common
N
E

The live pump wire was previously connected to a lone wire seperate from the rest so i have left that.

This replicates what was there previously and seems to match the instructions for the valve.

Programmer wired as follows

N
L
1.HW OFF
2.NIL
3.HW ON
4.CH ON

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
ve wired it as follows;

Grey - cylinder stat satisfied / HW off
White - room stat calling
Orange -cylinder stat calling / Live boiler
HW on - Cylinder stat common
N
E

The live pump wire was previously connected to a lone wire seperate from the rest so i have left that.

This replicates what was there previously and seems to match the instructions for the valve.

Programmer wired as follows

N
L
1.HW OFF
2.NIL
3.HW ON
4.CH ON

All seems ok to me

so I would suspect the programmer,easily checked with a multimeter
not something obvious is it? like set on constant?
make?

Matt

Have you checked the A-B jumper? It should be on the A side.

If that is OK you need to test the programmer.

As you can't easily test at the program end, you will have to do it at the wiring centre end. It is important that you only check the output from the timer, so you will need to disconnect some wires, i.e room stat common (CH ON), HW stat common (HW ON), HW stat satisfied and valve grey (HW OFF).

Use a meter to check for 240 volts as follows.

"Grey" terminal should be 240v when HW is OFF
"HW common" terminal should be 240v when HW is ON
"Room stat common" terminal should be 240v when CH is ON

thanks for your help chaps.

With regards to the test I can confirm we do not have 240v running from the programmer (HW OFF) to the grey terminal when 'HW off' is activated on programmer.

I take it this would indicate a programmer fault.

Does the programmer do anything else on 'HW off ' setting, the reason we ask is that we then ran 240v up to the grey but it still didnt have an effect on the hot water cylinder which still remains permanently on and controlled on/off by cylinder stat....

what do you think.

cheers

Sponsored Links
With regards to the test I can confirm we do not have 240v running from the programmer (HW OFF) to the grey terminal when 'HW off' is activated on programmer.

I take it this would indicate a programmer fault.
Possibly.
Presumably you tested at the other end of the wires connected to the programmer, so there could be a problem with the wires. This needs to be checked out. First check the colours are correct at both ends, i.e the color attached to HW ON goes to the cyl stat COMMON, etc. The you need to check that the wires are not broken. You will also need to check somehow that there is 240v on the programmer connections at the programmer end. This may mean removing the programmer and backplate and making a temporary connection to the L and N with a flex and 3 pin plug.

Does the programmer do anything else on 'HW off ' setting, the reason we ask is that we then ran 240v up to the grey but it still didnt have an effect on the hot water cylinder which still remains permanently on and controlled on/off by cylinder stat
HW OFF only supplies 240v to Grey - nothing else.
HW OFF only comes into operation when CH ONLY is required.
If you are having problems with the programmer not controlling the HW, then it will be the HW ON connection you need to check. Make sure this gives 0V when HW is OFF and 240v when HW is on at the programmer. Do this with wires disconnected as in my earlier post. If this checks out OK, then 240v is getting through to the HW stat common from somewhere else. Just a thought, make sure there are no stray wires linking the terminals on the wall plate, e.g from CH ON to HW ON.

Here is a wiring diagram for a Y-Plan so you can check your wiring. You may also like to read Honeywell Wiring Guide, which has fault-finding information.

8dxytxf.jpg

thanks for your help chaps.

the reason you dont have 240 on the grey when HW off is selected is probably due to the fact that the programmer is stuck in the HW on position as its a changeover switch/relay
ie you get one or the other
Still a programmer issue to me

matt

the reason you dont have 240 on the grey when HW off is selected is probably due to the fact that the programmer is stuck in the HW on position as its a changeover switch/relay
ie you get one or the other
Still a programmer issue to me
Agreed it is probably the programmer, but this has to be proved, not assumed. Going out to buy a new programmer, before proving that the old one if faulty, is not a sensible way to proceed.

Agreed it is probably the programmer, but this has to be proved, not assumedGoing out to buy a new programmer, before proving that the old one if faulty, is not a sensible way to proceed.
agreed, hence the use of the word probably and as I said in my first post easily checked with a multimeter

matt

as I said in my first post easily checked with a multimeter
The terminals of the programmer back plate are not easy to get at when the programmer is attached, which is why I suggested removing it and making a temporary connection with a lead and 3-pin plug.

thank you both for your help

Did the testing as per instructions. I was getting 240v on the ' HW on' connection when it was on and off, this in addition to the other issue at the grey terminal!..as you both agreed pointed towards the programmer.

Just done a straight swap with a new tempus 6 programmer and all is now working :D

many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back