Strange hot water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, hoping someone might be able to help with some strange goings on with our hot water. We have quite an old condensing boiler which serves an unvented system, which is an albion ultrasteel, that was installed about 5 years ago. We've noticed that some of the taps don't get hot unless another tap is run. E.g. kitchen hot tap wont give out hot water unless the downstairs cloakroom tap is also run. If we have hot water in the kitchen, then turn off the cloakroom tap, the kitchen water will go cold again.

Same thing happens upstairs, basin tap takes minutes to get hot, if turned on full, when it does, if we turn it off, wait a minute, it will be freezing cold again, and have to run it again, full blast to get hot water. It never gets hot if not turned on full.

Bath taps in the same room, wont get hot water unless the basin taps are run.

Does this sound like a non-return-valve problem somewhere, shower perhaps?

Amy ideas or help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How far is the hot water cylinder from the outlets (taps) ?

Not far at all, the cyclinder is in the airing cupboard next to the upstairs bathroom tap, but the pipework runs up to the loft and back down again. The puzzling thing is that the downstairs cloakroom next to the kitchen gets hot water fairly quickly, but the kitchen next door, wont get hot water at all unless the cloakroom tap is run.

It sounds like a nrv problem, can you isolate the showers for a start?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's what I thought it might be, as the shower has been playing up as well, it's one of those steam showers, take my advice, never ever buy one of those things, nothing but trouble. I can't isolate the shower unfortunately, but it is due for replacement in the next couple of months. I could fit an inline NRV on the shower inlet, in the meantime, which should be quite easy and cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back