Strengthen Botched Floor Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Thanks for your time.

Im currently gutting the old kitchen and converting it into a utility room as our kitchen is to be in the new extension. Ive dropped the ceiling to make way for a for new pipe runs etc.

Anyways, it seems in over the years the plumbers and electricians have butchered one of the joists pretty badly. Its been like this for at least the 4 years we've lived here and I rekon at least another 10 before that as the boiler before the new one went in was dates back to 2002. Not sure about the rewire but the point Im making is its been like this for a long time and there are no signs of splitting etc.

However while the ceiling is down I'd like to at least try and do something to strengthen it as the bathroom is above with tiled porcelain floor and a pretty big bath so its worth doing something with it.

I cant really sister the joints because of all the cables and pipes etc. I cant nog on that joist either as the pipes run inbetween the next joist. Could I source a piece of steel cut the same size as the joist with the pipe cut outs etc and bolt this to the timber either side of the notches? Hard to explain that one.

Or should I not worry at all as if something were to happen it'd have happened by now?

Any ideas please guys.

Thanks.
thumbnail_WP_20160919_14_42_09_Pro.jpg
thumbnail_WP_20160924_11_37_43_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
It won't fall down but the floor will be more bouncy/saggy than it would be otherwise. You can reroute the services and strengthen in some way, eg bolt other joists to the side or simply screw and glue plywood. I'm sure a structural engineer would be able to calculate if it would meet current standards but that's probably a waste of time.

Thanks for the reply John. Suprisingly there is no sag or bounce in the floor as like I say Ive tiled the floor above with porcelain tiles. I overboarded with 12mm ply, screwed and glued it down and used flexi ply adhesive and there are no signs of cracks in any of the grout lines or tiles in the 2 years its been down so I think its pretty damn solid it may just be a case of looking worse than is Im not sure but I'd like to sure it up a little while the boards are down.

Yeah thats probably a waste of time, more so money ahaha. Never thought about rerouting the actual cables thinking about it I might see if the older cables on the right are no longer live, if not Ill remove them which will give me more room to bolt as you say ply or joist either side and under the notches.

You could plate it with either metal or ply or add a sister joist and bolt.

Sponsored Links
The holes look to be fairly near the ends of the joists, so they won't be a structural problem.
It would be more of a concern if they were near the centre of the span.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back