Strobe effect with AU-FRLD811 downlights (dimmable LED)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a property that uses downlight LED in the main area, and I get a significant strobe effect from these lights (most noticeable when waving hands or any other fast movements under the light).

The lights are AU-FRLD811, and they were installed with a leading-edge dimmer, so I was wondering if that could be the reason.

I couldn't find a proper spec sheet for this light from Aurora. Various resellers seem to indicate that the AU-FRLD811/40 model is expected to work with both leading/trailing edge dimming (e.g. https://sparkshop.co.uk/aurora-ligh...able-led-downlight-fire-protection-4000k.html), but I haven't found a similar statement for AU-FRLD811/30.

I temporarily used a dimmer I have in another room, a Varilight V-PRO LED dimmer. When paired with a basic cheap LED bulb, this dimmer works flawlessly: full range dimming, no noise, no flickering, no strobe effect.

Sadly, when using the same dimmer (in trailing-edge mode) on the AU-FRLD811, and the strobe effect is still visible (although I think the buzzing noise I was getting with the other dimmer is reduced a lot).

I'm quite surprised this effect is here and so pronounced, as I'm used to flicker/strobe-free LED lighting with the Philips Hue range. Is this expected? What are my options here?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't use dimmer switches, but I have electronic switches which do not use a neutral and although I can hear the switch click, so I assume a relay inside, but still notice the flicker with some bulbs.

The cheap G9 bulbs I have, one failed, and the smoothing capacitor it bigger then the whole expensive bulb, which explains why the larger cheap G9 bulbs don't flicker.

With GU10 they are slightly bigger, but still limited space, I have had even some smart GU10 bulbs flicker, but trying to get bulbs and dimmer to match, is not easy.

I have tried and failed to find anything to say size of smoothing capacitor, so it seems it is a suck it and see.

Not all dimmable led bulbs work with all dimmers.

You need to try another make of LED dimmer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back