Structual Cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I am looking a 4 storey house terraced, possibly to purchase. On the first and second storey there are two windows at each of these levels. The right hand side of the left hand window and and left hand side of the right hand window (looking at them) appears to have dropped especially on the first storey level. Visually this is quite noticeable and the corners of both these windows appear to have dropped a similar amount. Above each window on the first floor there are also diagonal cracks between the tops of this window and the bottom of the second storey windows. I attach a photo which shows the windows. The first and second floors are above a bay window on the ground floor. Below the ground floor is a basement. The house next to this also appears to have similar issues with the windows. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks View media item 35767

Sponsored Links
It's quite common for the timber beam over the bay to fail causing problems like this.

Only ways that I've seen done on jobs were to replace the beam with an RSJ, or sometimes fix a metal flitch plate to the beam and leave it in.
The first method usually costs about 5-6 grand depending on the job. Repairing the bay roof if needed and brickwork above would be extra.

Sponsored Links
Stuart has hit it on the head. The bressumer beam spanning the bay opening, typically 7x3 timber, is failing. Usually because of water penetration rotting the bearing ends.

There are a number of other pointers in the pic. come back if you'r interested. eg. the amount of openings in the elevation.

I agree with Stuart's costing.

1. lower left outside of pic, is there a doorway ( another opening )?
2. inside the property inspect walls and ceilig/soffitt in areas in Q.
3. both left hand window cills cracked and dropped, r/hand lower cill cracked.
4. RWP possibly discharging onto bay roof - although a grey pipe leads away at right.
5. lead flat and flashing too short, should discharge water off face of elevation.
6. bay roof lead flat is too large in one piece - should be two pieces.
7. brickwork below the lower left frame appears to have been repointed after the rest of the brickwork.
8. Eaves/soffit at roof line is drooping.

Further pics esp. of bay roof might help. probable that decorative plasterwork cornice inside and surrounding the bay presents difficulty for remedial work.

Thanks Tim for your comprehensive reply. The floors on the second floor were all over the place (arched). The floorboards had been lifted on the first floor pointing to the beam. The house needs a massive amount of work so considering whether it is worth it!

Thanks guys for your advice,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back