Structural calcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Im currently on a building surveying degree course but was wondering out of interest how you would go about calculating the size RSJ needed to cover certain spans?
This is purely theoretical and i only want to know out of interest, how would you find loads etc and perform calculation??

Any help very much appreciated!!

Thanks

R Critchley

Sponsored Links
isn't that what you pay the archiect / structural engineer for?

Yeah your right, im just asking out of interest as im a student and would like to further my knowledge if possible!!

So any advice would be much appreciated.

R Critchley

Loads and calcs are in the British Standards BS6399, BS5950 etc. course its almost like trying to learn japanese without the basic knowledge of structural analysis, physics, geometry and maths. You should also be aware of legal responsibility and overal structral stability.

Sponsored Links
One rule of thumb to get a rough idea, is;

The opening in mms, eg 3000, knock of the last 0, half it and that gives 150mm, so a 152UB...
a 4000mm opening, so 400, half, 200, so a 203 ub.

NOTE THAT THIS IS A RULE OF THUMB IDEAL FOR ESTIMATING ONLY

Hitachimad said:
One rule of thumb to get a rough idea, is;

The opening in mms, eg 3000, knock of the last 0, half it and that gives 150mm, so a 152UB...
a 4000mm opening, so 400, half, 200, so a 203 ub.

NOTE THAT THIS IS A RULE OF THUMB IDEAL FOR ESTIMATING ONLY

out of curiosity would a 5000mm opening, so 500 half, 250, so a 254 ub be right?

Hitachimad said:
You get the picture :LOL:

Thats a little rule of thumb our SE told me a while ago

sorry just being nosey but whats a UB? never heard of this unit or measure before.

taa

A few others you may come across...

UC - Universal column
PFC - Paralel flange channel
RHS, CHS, SHS Rectangular, Circular or Square hollow section

Well spotted that man :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back