Stucco: Cracks in Scratch Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The scratch coat for my home's exterior walls was applied a few days ago and in the evening of the first day I noticed cracks forming over top of where the wire mesh is located beneath the scratch coat. In some areas the cracks only follow the horizontal wires in the mesh, but in other areas the cracks are forming along both the horizontal and vertical wires, causing the base coat to 'form' many 2x2 inch squares.

I'm concerned that this cracking is abnormal and will affect the long-term quality of the stucco (premature cracking and chipping in the future). I can't seem to find answers to my questions on-line so I'm hoping someone on this site can shed some light on this topic for me. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

I've recently read that the base coat needs to be rehydrated several times after it is applied so that it can cure properly. This stucco crew did not spray the walls with water at any time. Now three days have passed. Is there any point in me applying water, or is it too late?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Can you describe exactly the application please, all the way from whatever the wire is attached to .

This is a traditional three-coat stucco installation (not acrylic) over self-furring wire mesh (2"x2" wire spacing). Diamond mesh used along corners and other 'higher stress' locations. The scratch coat, applied by trowel, has been applied. Is awaiting application of the brown coat and finish coat.

I was concerned about the cracking. Couldn't find anything about that on-line but have found out that the scratch coat should have been hydrated several times by spraying water on the walls, and that the scratch coat should have been 'raked' horizontally to assis the brown coat's adhesion.

I just spoke with the installer today and he told me that the cracks are normal, that the brown coat will fill them in and that there is no need for water to be applied to the walls since there is enough moisture in the air. I wonder if he's giving me good advice since every article I read on-line states that hydration is critical. Yeah, I know that there's moisture in the air but it's not very humid here at all - and it's been quite windy since this was applied. So I'm guessing that any 'ambient' moisture in the air wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm not knowledgeable about this; which is why I'm asking. I'd hate to accuse the tradesman of substandard work if I'm wrong about my gut feeling.

I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention that the wire is attached to OSB exterior sheathing that's wrapped with two layers of house wrap (Tyvek/Typar, not tar paper or felt). A combination of staples and nails was used to fasten the mesh onto the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back