stuck CV axle

Joined
2 Oct 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Country
United States
06 Scion xA, 1.5L AT, 165k miles

I have been battling a stuck driver's side CV joint for the past several days. This is an 06 Scion xA. Initially the problem was that the axle (driver's side) is deeply recessed and a sub-frame blocks sideways access to the junction. I tried several different tools to try and get a bite and yank it out. It will not give. I borrowed a slide hammer and CV joint adapter from O'Reilly's, but the adapter wouldn't fit between the axle and the transaxle housing. I removed the inboard boot, stuck a pair of vice grips in the axle cup, and used the axles as a slide hammer against the vice grips to pop it out. No dice. I lowered the subframe to get some access to the axle cup, but whacking it with a wedge did nothing. Finally, I drilled holes in the CV cup to attach a chain directly to it, slid an 11-pound weight (an old axle hub from my van) along the chain to make it a slide hammer. Still didn't budge.

I am at my wits end. It's just a CV axle. I've probably replaced 20 CV axles in my life. This is insanity. I wasn't even doing axles, I was doing bearings, but the axle boot was shredded, so it was an easy side quest. This axle is breaking me. I am so hoping someone here has some effective advice. I need this car. I've been borrowing my roommate's, and I can't afford a shop. I shouldn't have to, it's just a CV axle!!

Please help!
 
Back
Top