Stuck midposition diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My house has a Y-plan heating system, and I've got a problem with my Honeywell diverter valve. After some experiments, I determined that even with the motor removed the system would not spring back after manually opening the valve - I could force it back using a screwdriver, but it would not go back under the power of the spring alone.

I then took the head off, at which point the head mechanism immediately sprung back, so it looks to me like the problem is with the actual mechanical valve sticking - is there anything I can do to try and 'unstick' it, or am I going to have to drain down and fit a new valve (at which point does anybody know if you can buy just the valve body and not the head, as I think my head is working fine)?

Sponsored Links
You can just buy the flat plate with the shaft and ball underneath.

Applying a little WD40 and moving it may well free it up for a short time.

Buying a new valve is often little more than the cost of trying to get components and then you have a new motor and head.

You might find a new body only on Ebay. I might even have some myself.

Tony

Thanks for the advice - WD40 and manipulating it backwards and forwards with a pair of pliers seems to have (at least temporarily) done the trick. Obviously if it goes again any time soon I'll look at replacing it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back