Stud wall in garage?

MrE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive read so many posts about garage projects but just not the right answers for me, so

One single garage, single skin, completely detached.
I want to create at least a stud wall (with a door) splitting the garage in half. Front garage for usual junk and the back part for a little (basic power tools) woodwork den. The main reason for this is to make it a little bit more soundproof than it is now. The roof is wood joists, some sort of ply wood covered with a waterproof layer. Got a decent amount of head room, and I've not got any damp or water problems.

I don't think i need to do anything with the solid concrete floor?

Soooo...

1. Any suggestions on the construction of the wall?

2. How do i deal with ventilation?

3. I don't know if Ill need to stud out the other three walls yet, for more sound reduction, but a little concerned about causing damp and moisture by doing that.

4. The roof, i don't know if i'll need to add something to that to help sound reduction? if i do, what can i do that doesn't cause and damp issues?

Really appreciate any help, and i want to get in with this asap. Would like to order the bits today if i could.

Thanks

MrE.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/split-garage-in-half-with-a-stud-wall.526606/#ixzz5vAwkE9gf

Sponsored Links
3 x 2 or 4 x 2 studwork.

CLS is a bit cheaper, but the sections are smaller
Space at 400 centres (to suit boards).

Maybe 100mm roll of dpc to keep any damp from floor plate and uprights agsinst walls

18mm OSB board

Maybe rockwall insulation for noise.

Personally I like OSB and think it looks good, but you may also want to consider ply, if the roughness of OSB and potential to get splinters is an issue for you. A bit pricier tho. But then again if you’re painting it, you’d probably end up “sealing” the OSB anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
1. how about 600 centres? staggered 3 x2's

2. I hadn't thought about a DPC or floor plate, was just going to screw the bottom wood to the concrete floor lol (is that really bad?)

3.I found this Earthwool acoustic insulation £45 for 15 Square meters, do you think that's worth it? (weave between the staggered uprights.

3a. OSB? I was thinking of plaster board sheets, os OSB much cheaper? maybe not so good sound insulation?

4. any ideas on the roof?

Sponsored Links
1. Should be ok
2. Do the DPC as per above
3. It may help, or it may be pointless - I’d do more research into how to get real soundproofing results (loads of posts on here) it’s not just a case of including rockwool between joists
3a. Plasterboard likely to get a bit damp, flimsy, disintegrate. Osb/ply much tougher, more resilient
4. See (3)

Good points thanks, Unfortunately ply and OSB are not good as sound reducers, plasterboard is a lot better (apparently). Also plasterboard has much better fireproof properties etc . cant i just paint the plasterboard and it'll be fine?

Also OSB 3 (whatever the 3 is for) is more expensive than plasterboard which surprised me.

What are these 'channels' for stud wall?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Any other feedback on that appreciated, i really need to order the stuff today

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back