Partition Wall In Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Doing an integral garage conversion, half of the garage will remain as a garage and another half will be a kitchen.

The wall to split the garage in two, what type of wall should it be to meet the Building Regs? Can it be a stud wall with fireboard on both sides? How thick the insulation should be?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
A kitchen or utility room? It makes a difference.
Generally, you will need to address the fire protection requirements of combustible liquids spilling in to the dwelling, ensure the habitable areas meet the U value requirements (0.22/.19 depending where you live) 80-100mm celotex. Double plasterboard on the garage side with stepped door frame and fire door will probably cover it. Plus fire alarms for the kitchen appliances.

Hi guys,

Doing an integral garage conversion, half of the garage will remain as a garage and another half will be a kitchen.

The wall to split the garage in two, what type of wall should it be to meet the Building Regs? Can it be a stud wall with fireboard on both sides? How thick the insulation should be?

Thanks,
The last BC relevant garage partition we did as follows (inside to out):
12.5mm duplex boards.
18mm ply (purely for anywhere fix).
100mm stud wall with 100mm Celotex between. Foil tape to all joints.
50mm Celotex.
2 x 12.5mm layers Fireboard (customer wanted greater sound reduction).
A taped and skimmed.
DPC fixed to sole plate.
New space ventilated via extractor.

The last BC relevant garage partition we did as follows (inside to out):
12.5mm duplex boards.
18mm ply (purely for anywhere fix).
100mm stud wall with 100mm Celotex between. Foil tape to all joints.
50mm Celotex.
2 x 12.5mm layers Fireboard (customer wanted greater sound reduction).
A taped and skimmed.
DPC fixed to sole plate.
New space ventilated via extractor.

Thank you for the detailed answer

Do you mind me asking what did you do for the floors? I am thinking

DPC to garage floor (concrete)
Timber battens 100mm
Celotex 100mm between timbers
Chipboard panels on top

And for the Vent, I will have a French door into the garden, do I still need a vent to comply with the BC?

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the existing garage floor has an insulated slab? Depending on the age, it may have 100mm of polystyrene already in it. If so you wont need 100mm of celotex, 50mm will do.

You will need an extractor for a kitchen and it needs to be a decent one as there are minimum extraction requirements. In my old house I had an 12M sliding doors, 3 Velux windows and still had to have an extractor for the kitchen area.

Thank you for the detailed answer

Do you mind me asking what did you do for the floors? I am thinking

DPC to garage floor (concrete)
Timber battens 100mm
Celotex 100mm between timbers
Chipboard panels on top

And for the Vent, I will have a French door into the garden, do I still need a vent to comply with the BC?
Floor make up is all about what thickness you have to work with.
Always reluctant to introduce timber (joists) into a ground floor situation as it just presents another venting headache.
We always opt for Celotex and screed if we have the depth or Celotex straight onto the concrete and floated deck, otherwise.

Always reluctant to introduce timber (joists) into a ground floor situation as it just presents another venting headache.

So if I built something like a stud wall on the floor, not sure what is the proper name for it (deck maybe) and insulate inside with 100 celotex, do I still need to ventilate it somehow? Even though I will have a DPM?

Thanks,

Do you know if the existing garage floor has an insulated slab? Depending on the age, it may have 100mm of polystyrene already in it. If so you wont need 100mm of celotex, 50mm will do.

You will need an extractor for a kitchen and it needs to be a decent one as there are minimum extraction requirements. In my old house I had an 12M sliding doors, 3 Velux windows and still had to have an extractor for the kitchen area.

Thank you, do you know if there are any specific requirements for the vent outlet? Can it go out anywhere I want (next to my neighbour's window for example) or does it have some requirements?

So if I built something like a stud wall on the floor, not sure what is the proper name for it (deck maybe) and insulate inside with 100 celotex, do I still need to ventilate it somehow? Even though I will have a DPM?

Thanks,
It's the migration of moist air from INSIDE the room you are trying to prevent reaching the timbers and causing mould.

Thank you, do you know if there are any specific requirements for the vent outlet? Can it go out anywhere I want (next to my neighbour's window for example) or does it have some requirements?
Kitchens are often vented via an externally vented cooker extractor or via a remote fan elsewhere in the kitchen. Those that are remotely located are required to have a greater extraction rate than those located directly above the hob.

You want to locate the fan terminal so you have the shortest distance of ducting possible. Discharging onto a neighbouring property could be deemed a nuisance.

Either an extract fan ducted to fresh at at 60 litres / sec anywhere within the vicinity or a cooker hood ducted to fresh air at 30 litres / sec.

Recycling filtered hoods do not count.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back