Wall to partition garage conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Im looking to enlarge my kitchen by knocking through and using part of my garage, whilst partitioning the remaining front of the garage off to use as a bike/tool store and leaving the original garage door in place. I have done a lot of research on raising the garage floor to bring it up to the kitchen level so am happy with this. What I am struggling with is the spec of the wall I need to build to partition the garage. The garage is integral to the house, has a bedroom above and the exterior garage wall is a cavity wall so this should not need any extra insulation. Would a single wall of thermalite blocks be suitable to construct the partition wall from? The section of the garage that will remain a garage is partly made up of a single skin of brick and protrudes from the front of the house so I imagine the new wall will in theory need to be built as if it were an exterior wall?

If anybody has had any experience with this and could offer some advice that would be great.

Please see attached picture for some detail.

Thanks in advance!
Untitled.png

Sponsored Links
Thermalite? No.
Timber stud, 100mm celotex between, and 25mm across the internal face. 12.5 plasterboard and skim both sides.

If that house was built in the past 30 years or so, check planning permission for conditions preventing garage conversions without permission.

As Woody suggests there may be some restrictions for converting the garage into a habitable space. These restrictions can also be private covenants attached to the deeds and nothing to do with planning permission. Sometimes it's just a matter of paying a fee to the company that built the house or buying an indemnity policy if the company is no longer trading. That said, if it still looks like a garage.......:sneaky:

You might need to double board the garage side for fire resistance, also make sure the new floor is insulated if you haven't already.
For the fire resistance If there's still a partial garage they consider you might store a motorbike full of petrol and require accordingly.
The council building inspector would hopefully be helpful

Sponsored Links
We have been required to do this. Left side being the garage.

Screenshot_20190621-081902.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back