Garage utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on creating a utility room in the end of my garage. The garage is attached to the house, with access from the kitchen, directly into the garage. The garage floor level is lower than the ffl of the house.

Now, I want to create the utility room by forming an area with plasterboard partitions. The wall between the garage and the house I guess won't be an issue? The Wall at the rear of the garage appears to be single brick on the outside, with block on the inside. The other wall is a single course of brickwork.

I want to build a partition wall using timber, within the existing walls. What do I need to do with regards to insulation and DPM?

Also, I would like to tile the floor. Can I do this directly onto the concrete floor? Even if I can, is it advisable? I can only raise the floor a maximum of 50mm due to the double glazed door at the rear of the garage, so I'm limited for what I could do. Any ideas?

thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
So am I right in thinking the door to access your proposed utility is via your garage ?

I would have access via a door from my kitchen, the rear double glazed door at the back of the garage, an a (yet to be installed) door from the remaining garage area.

Ok . This work will be notifiable for building regs. Give your local building control a call and ask them if they will come and do a site visit for pre submission advice. This way you will get the best advice of what you will need to do, as at the end of the day they will be signing the work off.
Thats if you go the official route on this ;)

Sponsored Links
I spoke to building contol the other day and explained the situation. they informed my that I didnt need a building warrant. :confused: Im in Scotland, I'm not sure what difference that makes? Still. i want the job done properly. :)

build the partition wall with 100mm stud timbers and full fill with 100mm celotex or kingspan, with 25mm across the uprights. tape all joints board and skim.

tack a piece of 100mm plastic dpc to the underside of the timber sole plate prior to fixing.

if the all walls achieve a certain 'u' value then the floor may not need any more insulation. however, i wouldn't enjoy a step down particularly if i were carrying washing. are the cavity walls insulated?

is the garage integral or not? if it is not then the loft space will need 270mm of insulation also.

When you say 'with 25mm across the uprights' what do you mean exactly?

I don't think the step down is a big issu for us, personally. So I'm not too concerned about it. The garage is attached, but not integral as such. I have the insulation ready to be fitted tho. The cavity walls are not insulated, no.

I was under the impression, I'd need to have a layer of plastic DPC before I fixed my plasterboard?

certain sheets of celotex or kingspan are manufactured complete with a foil vapour barrier. so long as the joints are taped with foil tape then the vapour barrier is complete. it is wise to fill the perimeter edges with a mastic too.

Scotland has more severe weather, hence different rules. i suggest an insulation board across the the studs as well as between. you can then fix the plasterboards through this insulation and into the studs. you will just need longish screws that's all.

i would reconsider the floor situation though...... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back