Partitioning my Integral Garage to create Utility Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice

I want to partition a proportion of my integral garage to create a utility room for a washer and dryer (condenser). The garage is at the front of the property and the kitchen at the rear with a stairway in between.

It will be necessary to plumb the waste from the garage, under the stairs into the kitchen, however this means running waste pipework behind the oven.........????? is this a problem due to heat or can I put a heat shield over the piping to protect it?

I was thinking of using a Sanivite waste system...anyone have any opinion on the performance of these units.

Also I will need to knock a new doorway into the garage from the hallway as there is no way into the garage from the house at the moment...any advice on building regs etc..?

Thanks

Paul.

Sponsored Links
We did something similar 18 months ago.

The partition was built from 100 x 50mm studs with celotex between and fireline plasterboard to the garage side and regular 12.5mm board and skim the other. You may now need another 25mm of celotex to satisfy current reg's.

The floor was simply made good with polythene and concrete on top of existing as the small floor area involved didn't warrant anything more specific, i.e. insulation. You may not be so lucky.

The knock through was supported by a standard concrete builders lintel.

Electrics were installed by a self certificating part p bod.

The radiator was fitted with a trv.

Mechanical ventilation was ducted to an outside wall.

All passed by b.c.

P.S. Drainage was brought to the location from an existing 110mm foul drain, at the rear of the building. This involved building a pair of shallow access inspection pots terminating at a trapped gully, close enough to collect any foul water from the new utility area.

This also was inspected and passed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back