Integral Garage Partial Conversion: Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I am planning to convert my integral garage which currently has a concrete slab sitting approx 150mm below the interior floor level - no damp proof membrane, no insulation.

The rear of the garage is connected to the kitchen and has a side external door too; it is used as utility space - washer, drier, additional fridge and freezer etc. The front of the garage has the 'up and over' garage door off the drive, and is used only for storage.

I want to convert the front half into a secluded additional study room, but leave the rear half as the utility space unconverted. I intend for the converted front half to meet building regulations for a converted room.

The necessary insulation of the floor of the converted front room will necessitate that the floor is raised to the same level as the kitchen - 150mm above the unconverted rear half of the garage. The result would be a 150mm step down into the utility from the kitchen, followed by a 150mm step up into the converted study room.

Does anybody know of any building regulations this would contravene, or any complications that would prevent this solution?

All responses will be hugely appreciated, and I thank you for any in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why not just do the whole floor and have it all level through?

The step down regulation becomes obsolete once you convert the front part in any case as it is no longer a garage.

I guess raising the floor would mean altering the side door, yes?

If so, it may be a good idea to brick the side door up and have just a window or is this the only exit to the back garden?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back