Stupid DIY novice.....hanging a picture help

C

catmando

Hi there,

First of all please dont shout at me, I am a complete DIY novice and a disaster area!

All I want to do is hang some pictures on our newly decorated walls, I have bought some picture hooks with pins, when I knock them in the pins only go so far in. I then get mad and keep hitting it until it bends, messes up the wall and is not strong enough to hang the picture!

Surely I don't need to drill for this!

Thanks and remember to be gentle!

Sponsored Links
What sort of hammer are you using; and, are you sure you are holding the pin straight?

How old is the house or flat you live in; how high* (how many floors) and, do you know what the inside walls are made of, under the plaster? (you might be able to see bricks or blocks e.g. in an unplastered area under the stairs or in the garage)

It sounds like your walls are made of a hard and dense material; so you will have to drill.

For hanging pictures, buy the smallest drill and plugs you can find.

*yes, this really does make a difference to the construction

Seems you might have to drill. The pins are bending so it seems theres soemthing very hard under the plaster (stone?). One can get masonary nails which probably wont bend, might be worth a try.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, my walls seem to have thin plaster and then brick work. The house is approx 20 years old. I think I will go and buy some masonary nails as suggested this weekend, I will report back and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Best to pre-drill with a thinner masonary drill bit than the nail thickness before hammering the masonary nail or better still small rawlplug & screw.

The London Common Bricks are very hard.

I'm with Masona. the risk that you might belt a masonry pin into the wall, and crack a brick, is very depressing. That would give you quite a bit of mending to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back