Subsidence insurance claims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has some subsidence and the insurance company sent out a firm to fix the leaking drains just over a year ago which had caused the damage. Since then I have tried and failed to find a building firm to do the building repairs. (one company cancelled twice at the very last minute and others say a quote will come but nothing arrives). Last week I phoned a builder who came out a year ago and then sent no quote to see if he had sent a quote which had gone astray and this turned out to be what had happened. He sent his quote from last year and it was for £1500 for the subsidence work. The insurance company charges £1000 excess so I called them about making a claim and emailed the quote to them. The quote was dated a year ago and the insurance company said to get the builder to send me a recent quote so he is coming here on Monday to see what needs doing again, then I will send his new quote to the insurance company. (I also need some other work doing which isn't covered by the insurance and which I will pay for myself). However, even if the insurance company do agree to support my claim, I am wondering if my premiums will rise so much afterwards that it might be best to pay the builders the full £1500 myself and not claim on the insurance? But if the insurance do cover my claim then this would be back up incase of any later problems with the repair work. I really do not know what to do.

Sponsored Links
I have only claimed for the drain repair up till now, not for the subsidence. This hasn't affected my premium

Ask you're insurers, then decide. You may find the premiums rise by £100 a year, or they may go up but £200. Best to cost out your options first.

Sponsored Links
I will ask when I send them the latest quote this coming week. It may work out cheaper in the long term to pay for the repair work myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back