[Suggestions/Help Requested] What to use to repair/point garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I need to repair part of the wall that holds up my patio. I'm not looking to do a perfect job because we'll be replacing the patio in a couple of years or so, so I'm just looking to patch things up so it doesn't look unsightly really.

I already have some large concrete blocks which will fill the void perfectly, I just need to work out what and how to fill the cavity behind the blocks (you can see loose soil there right now) and also point the gaps above/under/between blocks.

I'm pretty ignorant in this area (i.e. mortar, concrete, ec but I guess I was thinking something pre-mixed like postcrete or postfix to fill the cavitities and then maybe something like No Nonsense Mortar Repair to point.

Please can I get some suggestions on what you would use and any tips? The easier the better really.

Thanks for reading ‍

20220528_113710.jpg

20220528_113733.jpg

Sponsored Links
Make up a mortar mix of roughly 4 sand to 1 cement for everything. That’s all you need.

Thanks for your input @Mr diy a lot. I did attempt to fix the first block in place using some some ready mix mortar but it wasn't secure in the slightest. I think the void was simply to big, the mortar wouldn't take to the soil and the gaps above and below were too small to accomodate much mortar.

So in the end I bought some Soudal Expanding Foam Adhesive and used that to fill the void and fix the blocks securely in place, making sure that I left enough space to retrospectively point. And then I repointed the gaps with ready mix mortar. Very pleased with the result and pretty sure the adhesive has stuck the blocks securely.

20220529_150430.jpg
20220529_175513.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back