Suggestions on a suitable floating desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am completely useless at DIY but I live with my grandparents and long story short, we basically have been told that by the local council that we have to reduce the amount of weight of furniture in our bedrooms.

I'm living in a box shape room and am a music student. I therefore need a lot of desk space not only for my computer but for my digital piano. I had in my University dorm a long floating desk along one wall and would like to do something similar with this room. However, I can't seem to find anything suitable and given that a digital piano isn't exactly a feather, I don't know if this idea is possible.

If it is possible, I could get rid of three heavy pieces of furniture and give myself more space.

Any suggestions/advice?

Sponsored Links
You could fix heavy duty brackets to the wall with one or two legs to prevent the middle flexing with the majority of the weight taken by the walls .

PS. aren't all rooms box shape? :LOL:

just use some big angle brackets. The ones that are a complete triangle. If your desk will touch the walls at either end then put one on each of those walls too. Then cheapo kitchen worktop and you're sorted.

As mentioned, if you get any sag in the middle fix a steel tubular leg down to the floor.

Sponsored Links
""we basically have been told that by the local council that we have to reduce the amount of weight of furniture in our bedrooms.""

Can't believe the local council now limits the weight of furniture in bedrooms :eek: :eek:

Christ, it just goes to show that Big Brother is alive and kicking.
Next thing the council will want webcams in the kitchen and dining room so they can tell us what to eat!!!! ;)

Have they said why you need to make this reduction?

HAs the council house your in (an assumption) been made with sub standard flooring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back