Suitable finish for new, oak-veneered, interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Following the fitting of a number of oak-veneered interior doors I need to coat then with a protective finish. I'm looking for a translucent matt/satin finish that won't much change the natural appearance of the oak veneer.

The manufacturer of the doors states they mustn't be finished with "wax, teak oil or varnish" and instead recommends a "high performance wood stain/lacquer". The reason given on their website is - "When we manufacture a door it has a controlled moisture content, the above mentioned treatments [wax, teak oil or varnish] will not seal the moisture content into the door, therefore allowing moisture ingress or loss to occur causing the door to either swell or shrink." (This doesn't make much sense to me but searching on Google shows that this company is not alone in making this statement.)

I've contacted the company to determine exactly what products are suitable for finishing their doors but their reply has been vague.

I'd be grateful if someone could throw light on what sort of product would be suitable, preferably naming one or two specific examples.

Many thanks, Roger

Sponsored Links
How is the moisture content kept under control whilst the door is in storage at the warehouse, retailer and various other places they will be stored before ending up at your house, before the finish is applied?

Sponsored Links
I completely agree with you! It makes no sense. I would have reckoned it better that the wood could "breath" rather than be encapsulated in something impermeable. But then, if it does need something impermeable I would have thought a varnish would have done the job yet that is ruled out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back