Finnishing Oak veneer doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just bought some oak veneer doors from Wicks and the finnishing info that comes with them says you should use a water based varnish or wood stain.
As they don't mention the use of any oils, waxes or solvent based varnish do you think these could effect the veneer in any way?.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We got some similar from xl joinery and finished them with sanding sealer followed by bri-wax, they look pretty nice but a bugger to polish up the wax

We got some similar from xl joinery and finished them with sanding sealer followed by bri-wax, they look pretty nice but a b*****r to polish up the wax
I have just spoken to XL joinery as they make the doors for Wicks/ Travis etc and they recomended staying with the water based products. I guess your sanding sealer will seal the door before you wax it though.

Didn't know they did wickes stuff too! The doors say don't use oil based stuff but the shop we bought thru sold us the sealer and wax

Sponsored Links
If the manufacturers state water based only, then use water based only. If you use a solvent based product and the doors de-laminate then the guarantee won't be worth anything.

Didn't know they did wickes stuff too! The doors say don't use oil based stuff but the shop we bought thru sold us the sealer and wax
One of the doors has to be cut down for our cupboard under the stairs so I may have a go with different products on the off cut.
As far as I know Magnet also have there doors and at first they priced matched with Wicks but before I collected I noticed Wicks had 25% off oak veneer doors until next week and Magnet would no longer compete with this price. I did still get all my hardware from Magnet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back