Clear finish for oak veneered door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm after a bit of advice. I have just bought an oak veneer exterior door and want a clear finish on it. I have been told dulux naked wood would be adequate however I have read stories of water based finishes lifting the veneer??!?

Do any of you have any recommendations as to what may be the best product?

Many Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Adam,

I at this time cannot offer you advice with regard to the best system to use at this stage, veneer can often prove difficult to achieve both a good finish and provide longevity.

You will need to determine if the door was was pre-treated,and if so with what, sorry that my advice is a little sparce yet it more important in this case to get it right.

Dec

If it is an exterior door, then the veneer should stand up to the rigours of outdoor life. I would avoid the water based varnish as a preference myself and go with a clear spirit based 'Exterior' varnish which will take several hours to dry. You will need to start by giving the door a light sand as the edges and corners may still have splinters etc, a 180 grit should be ok.
Apply a 1st coat of varnish thinned with white spirit, when dry, de-nib with a 240 paper, then apply 2nd coat. I would add a 3rd if you can spare the time. ( Also remove the door from its hinges to do top and bottom to prevent swelling of the door if you can and I would do this first if the door is not fitted)
blackfriers still make spirit based exterior clear satin or gloss varnish or if you are really going for the best finish then look at the 'sikkens' range of wood finishes. They are top class but you will have to select the finish as they do several in the range that will fit the bill.
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back