Exterior oak veneer door finish recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for finishing some new oak veneer exterior doors?

The main criteria is that the natural wood and grain must be seen, so no paint and no deep coloured surface stain. No varnish, and no gloss appearance either - must be a soft sheen/satin.

All the suppliers seem to state a general criteria of a 'high build' stain product, but don't tend to recommend anything specific or specific product. They don't recommend an oil - but I don't know if this is outdated and overcautious advice - I used an Osmo door oil on some interior veneer doors several years ago with no problems.

The doors will be south facing so get a lot of sun and a lot of driven wind and rain.

Suppliers also tend to recommend a coloured stain not clear to prevent UV fading the wood, but I'm dubious as to what any colour stain will do the natural grain - I'd want to avoid a bland even colour over the whole surface.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back