Summerhouse mould - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a 44mm log cabin built a few years ago. Treated it with Barrettine log cabin treatment but within 2 years the summerhouse is covered in mould. Any advice how this can be resolved/salvaged? Tried scrubbing, watered down bleach, mould remover and gentle sanding!

Attachments

• IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    644.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5627.jpeg
    IMG_5627.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5628.jpeg
    IMG_5628.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
You mean on the outside?

Stand back and take some wider pics of the whole thing. Include the roof, gutters, downpipe and drainage for rainwater. Also nearby trees and other sources of shade preventing sun and wind drying it out.

How many years ago was it last oiled?

Hi John, yes it’s on the outside. It was oiled soon after the summerhouse was built. The first year it looked great, this second year when we wanted to oil it again it looks all mouldy. I have attached some more photos. At the back where other is a hedge the wood is pristine, it’s the other 3 sides that are open to the Scottish elements that look terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpeg
    IMG_5636.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5634.jpeg
    IMG_5634.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5635.jpeg
    IMG_5635.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5637.jpeg
    IMG_5637.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5633.jpeg
    IMG_5633.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 21
I can't see any gutters.

The front, with a wide overhang, looks quite good.

Oil is not entirely damp proof, and I've had black stain from fungus on outdoor oiled hardwood. It is possible to bleach it with Oxalic acid, but I now use a dark wood dye, after chemical wood preserver (I use Cuprinol), and a dark water-based shed stain that leaves a waxy film to repel water. The fungal stain then does not show. You know it needs treating again when water no longer beads up and rolls off. Decking stain seems to be more durable and goes dull when worn out by weathering. The stains usually say they have a 5-year life

On the back of my shed, facing a neighbour, I dappled with dark and medium green, and used dark brown to give the impression of branches and treetrunks. It is partially obscured by trees.

A jet washer will clean it off, but leaves the grain somewhat raised.

I prefer spirit-based preservers, which I am convinced soak in deeper even on smooth planed wood, but they seem to be scarce now.

Sponsored Links
Can't tell if it's mould or turning grey from the UV which is natural anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back