Supply for outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've asked this before and got replys (thanks to those who did) but I'd like some advice on an alternative method I have in mind;

I've got a "porch" on the front of the new house which houses the toilet and CU. Am I right in thinking I could take a spur from the celing light in the toilet to use for an external coach lantern? Presume I could run the cable above the ceiling plasterboard to the wall, drill a hole at that point then cut a chase down to the point where it needs to exit outside. Reading everything so far it looks like I don't need Part P to do this...

Sponsored Links
you can but whay do you say youdont need part p

you are fitting an external light, and adding to an existig cct

I recently read something online from a local authority which suggested taking a spur for an outside light fixed to a wall was considered by them not to be covered under Part P. Don't get me wrong - I have very little knowledge of this and maybe that was misleading hence part of the reason I raised the question in this thread.

as you said, local authority.

part p is different depending on where you live, although it shouldn't be

Sponsored Links
markjj said:
Presume I could run the cable above the ceiling plasterboard to the wall, drill a hole at that point then cut a chase down to the point where it needs to exit outside. Reading everything so far it looks like I don't need Part P to do this...

Surely then the cable would be outside the safe zones, due to no accessory being present horizontal or vertical to the chase.

Does the outside light allow safe zones on the interior? I'm not sure but don't think so.

I have often wondered about this if you wanted to supply a number of outside wall lights with cable exiting into the back of each of them? If the safe zone does not extend indoors, how would you manage it? :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back