Supply move headache - 3 phase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I need to move the routing of my three phase supply but have come up against a bit of a problem.

The supply is buried (only about 150mm) and runs across the garden then underneath the footing of a retaining wall, before running under the rear slab of the house, emerging from under the floor in the rear hall of the property, into the meter.

I need to remove and replace the retaining wall which it runs underneath, so I’m looking to have the supply cut just prior and diverted away from where the new footings will go.

The issue is, because of the building layout, there is not enough room for National Grid to cut back into the supply before it runs under the rear slab.

I’m wondering if the best solution is to terminate the supply in a new outside box and duct the cables along internal walls to the meter; or terminate the supply externally AND reposition the meter to an external box, and then run the tails from the meter to the CU through ducting.

Obviously I’ll not be doing any of this - I just need to get some feedback on possible solutions. TIA!

Sponsored Links
Do you really need to move it? can you not just work around it?

Where I worked the firm paid for the over head supply to be transferred to an under ground system to allow a new building to be built, the building was not actually built, as some change in plans, however the money had already been paid, then the building was again required so again realised over head lines in the way, this was some 10 years after paying for there moving, and yet still there.

It seems you can get agreement for the move, but then getting it moved is another thing.

Sponsored Links
Do you really need to move it? can you not just work around it?
I’m going to try to but I need a back up plan.

Essentially I need to move the retaining wall back about 2 mtrs; the ground at the back of the house is higher - the supply runs from the high ground and loops through the area I need to excavate - so with it being so shallow I suspect it’s just not going to be possible to leave it how it is and also move the wall back.

It’s a bit of a pain in the ar$e!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back