Supply Voltage - 216 to 253 Volts????

a sinewave minus a slightly lagging sinewave is still a sinewave.

the transformer will draw some reactive power but i can't see it really being any worse than that same transformer used in the normal way.

as long as its boxed up in a way that will contain the potential outcome of a broken connection to the primary (that is a nice earthed metal box) i really don't see any problem with doing this.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
a sinewave minus a slightly lagging sinewave is still a sinewave.

the transformer will draw some reactive power but i can't see it really being any worse than that same transformer used in the normal way.

as long as its boxed up in a way that will contain the potential outcome of a broken connection to the primary (that is a nice earthed metal box) i really don't see any problem with doing this.
not so if the tablelamp is driven by this choked supply and supplied by a dimmer then the spiked waveform output or chopped waveform will induced extremely high voltage into the tablelamp, not an ideal situation by a long chalk.

when operating correctly this should not really act as a choke, the current spikes should be mostly transformed over to the primary which is connected to a nice low impedance supply.

if the primary goes open cuircuit then i suspect the voltage presented to the load will quickly plummet and this will become a non-issue for that reason.

P.S. in adition to the metal box i think thermal fuses attatched to the transformer and placed in the overall mains input path would be a wise move.

plugwash said:
if the primary goes open cuircuit then i suspect the voltage presented to the load will quickly plummet and this will become a non-issue for that reason..

Yes, the voltage across the load will plummet, and the supplied 230 volts will move from the load to the terminals of the coil in series with it.

Sponsored Links
[url=http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm](TLC) Whitfield [/url] said:
Since the present supply voltages (240) in the UK lie within the acceptable spread of values, Supply Companies are not intending to reduce their voltages in the near future. This is hardly surprising, because such action would immediately reduce the energy used by consumers (and the income of the Companies) by more than 8%...
:)

I'm not sure if I believe that. Surely heating and cooling devices would just operate for longer until they came to temp and their thermostats opened. Motors would just draw more amps to deliver the same power, wouldn't they?

I suppose lamps would be a bit dimmer though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back