Support for new loft beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing new beams in my loft which my structural engineer calculated as 175 by 75. In the plans he did not specify how to support these beams at both sides. Please see diagram. I would prefer to go with PROPOSED B and lay the new beam over the wall plate however to do this I would need to cut the beams due to the angle of the rafters. PROPOSED A using joist hangers would increase my loft height but means a lot of extra work to remove all of the existing ceilings as the new beam would fall below this.
Please can someone clarify whether I can rest on the existing wall plate or whether I will have to install hangers as in PROPOSED B

Sponsored Links
You have paid your engineer for this, his remit must include the detail of the support for new joists, not just their size.

I'm assuming this is for a loft conversion, as the sizes of the beams are rather substantial ? If so, you certainly can't go with B as the new beams would be below the height of the existing ceiling rafters (which I doubt can be removed). Your SE will advise.

Sponsored Links
Chances are your new joists will also sit on the wall plate with soffit flush with old ceiling joists.. but as said get your SE to confirm the detail its what you paid for..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back