surface water caused by roof guttering - solution required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two drainage problems which I hope someone will be able to advise me on.

Problem 1:
I live at the end of a cauldersack in an end of terrace house. The down pipe at the front of my house drains water from my roof and the house next door. The down pipe feeds into a half open drain. Unfortunately, the driveway at the front of my house slopes towards the house as does the open drain. This resuts in puddles of water gathering around the walls at the front of my house when it rains.

Problem 2:
To compund problem 1 outlined above I share driveway access with my other neighbor (from an adjacent row of houses). The driveway comes up between the side of my house and his. The driveway (both his section and mine) also slope towards my house which causes puddles of water to gather against the walls at the side of my home.

Although my house has a damp proof course water is getting in below the damp prrof course which has resulted in damp patches in the plaster work and bricks at skirting board level.

There is no main drainage system at the front or side of my house. The open drain is meant to run off into the road. I would therefore like some advice on how to stop the water running towards the front of my house and causing problems. One solution maybe to re-lay the half open drain down my drive to the main road so that the water runs away from the house. I could fit a metal grid over the drain so that the driveway at the front of the house remains level and can be used?

To deal with problem 2 I have thought about cutting around the front and side of the house, digging a trench a foot down and filling this with pea gravel. Will this suffuiciently deal with the water running off next doors driveway onto my own or will it just cause other problems?

Any suggestions would be much appraciated.

Thank you,

Rachael

Sponsored Links
RachCL said:
Although my house has a damp proof course water is getting in below the damp prrof course which has resulted in damp patches in the plaster work and bricks at skirting board level.
I can't see how unless the internal plaster is bridging the dpc(?)

Might be easier if you can do a photo to help us to help you

RachCL said:
I have two drainage problems which I hope someone will be able to advise me on.

Problem 1:
I live at the end of a cauldersack in an end of terrace house. The down pipe at the front of my house drains water from my roof and the house next door.

Rachael
is that like a skroatelsack ;) seriously...can the gutter be re done so it `s down pipe is @ the end of the run of houses ? need pics, really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back