Surfacing dusty and part painted concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the standard replies on floor screeds at the top of this forum but unfortunately they don't cover what I need to know.

My concrete garage floor was obviously badly laid with a weak mix. Parts of it eventually became dusty. No amount of sealing with either dilute PVA or flooring undercoat helped. Nor did floor paint, which adhered firmly to only about 80% of the surface - the rest was just too crumbly.

There is no damp-proof membrane but it has a clear channel all round to avoid breaching the house DPC, and the slab (laid on a dry sandy soil) does not appear to have a particular damp problem. So which of the various screed options would be preferable? I even wondered about painting with bitumen, dusting with sharp sand to give a grip, and then laying 1cm or so on top using a stronger mix of cement and sharp sand. Stripping the painted part is not an option but I'm not averse to raising the entire level if necessary, but I'd prefer not to; what is most likely to work over the whole area?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back