'Suspended' plastic ceiling in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
11749365_10153230898723145_1086096210_n.jpg

Morning, we recently bought a house with a slightly strange 'sunroom' pictured above.

The grid holds brittle plastic tiles which apparently drop out when temperature changes. The grid doesn't seem to lock together in any way and the tiles are perilously close to the edges of their supports.

The grid isn't actually suspended from the roof, but rather sits on the brickwork to the sides.

Concerned our three year old will throw a toy in there, knock something, and drop a tile on his head.

Any idea what this type of thing is called and where I could buy an interlocking grid system? Is this the kind of thing I could get a builder to do? We could completely replace the roof for about 3k, but we have a second child on the way and I'd rather not spend the money now. If it's the only way to go to make it safe then so be it.

May be the wrong place in the forum

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
3k??? Ouch!

Was this a rated people .com quote?
I'm sure you could save a lot more if you tried that?

The brittle plastic tiles you have look like a thing called a Prismatic diffuser - usually used with 600mm x 600mm "office" lights.

The things they are resting on is called suspended ceiling grid. the grid comes in 2 widths (24mm and 15mm wide)

If I was you I would take it all down and replace with a complete new suspended ceiling. Maybe replace the current ones with Mineral fibre tiles and they might help with a little bit of heat insualtion. The grid work needs to be independently supported with galvanised wire - you would have one fixing per square meter.

Google suspended ceiling grid and have a look at the images.

Sponsored Links
The brittle plastic tiles you have look like a thing called a Prismatic diffuser - usually used with 600mm x 600mm "office" lights.

The things they are resting on is called suspended ceiling grid. the grid comes in 2 widths (24mm and 15mm wide)

If I was you I would take it all down and replace with a complete new suspended ceiling. Maybe replace the current ones with Mineral fibre tiles and they might help with a little bit of heat insualtion. The grid work needs to be independently supported with galvanised wire - you would have one fixing per square meter.

Google suspended ceiling grid and have a look at the images.

As above - that's about the long and short of it although fitting the fibre tiles will cut lots of light out which I suspect is why they used clear plastic OK albeit patterned/diffused together with a polycarb or glass roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back