SWA in flowerbed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to run the supply to my shed, approx 20m of which is across the garden.

As I'm doing this under a building notice, trenching would involve digging the full length in one go so it can be inspected before being backfilled.

I have to comply with BS7671, and there's nothing in BS7671 that seems to rule out laying the SWA in a flowerbed, provided it remains visible and isn't hidden under mulch, soil etc. to avoid someone deciding to rotovate it in the future.

Is this correct? I agree a nice deep trench would be preferable, but would be a major pita.

Sponsored Links
It is acceptable to route cable within flowerbeds,
but precautions should be made against damages and hazards caused mechanically, by sunlight, rodents and plant/flower growth.
Using SWA and maintaining the flowerbed would be acceptable.

As I'm doing this under a building notice, trenching would involve digging the full length in one go so it can be inspected before being backfilled. ~~~~~I agree a nice deep trench would be preferable, but would be a major pita.
Ask the building control office if they will accept photographic evidence of the way the trench was dug with clear indication of its depth. If they agree then you can then dig and lay a duct for the electrician to pull the SWA into and back fill with out waiting for the BCO to visit to inspect.

Place marker tape above the duct and photograph it.

Lay in two ducts so at a later date you can add other cables ( door bell, intercom, computor data, alarms etc ).

SWA is not immune to the steel rusting after the outer sheath is damaged by gardening tools.

I personally consider it rough to just lay the swa through the flower bed considering someone using a spade in bad light......

Sponsored Links
Can't you cleat it to the wall or fence?

Still not as good as in a trench though. Ideally in a duct in a trench.

Thanks chaps, tbh I was half-expecting to be called a wuss for not just digging the trench! :LOL:

I'll ask the BCO if they'll accept photographic evidence of the trench, if not I'll lay it in the flowerbed and in a few years when I get someone to kango up my old concrete patio it may accidentally fall into a 2-foot trench a few metres at a time with sand and warning tape on top. ;)

Wonder if they do day-glow SWA to avoid spade-strike on a flowerbed?

Wonder if they do day-glow SWA to avoid spade-strike on a flowerbed?

TBH I recently laid an SWA on the ground (in an industrial environment) and I cable tied the yellow warning tape to it.

Not perfect but then nothing is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back