Swapping Hot & Cold on a Thermostatic Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a new flat and the shower temperature is either scalding hot or freezing cold. Having searched on here, I've figured out that it's because it's plumbed in the wrong way around.

I can't find a brand name anywhere on the mixer but it looks similar to the Grohetherm 1000, with the temperature knob on the right hand end and the pressure knob on the left.
The pipes are hidden away behind a partition which has been tiled over so, short of demolishing the wall, there's no way to access them. Would it be fairly straightforward to unscrew the two pipes, flip the shower over and put it back on again so the pipes go in the right ends?

The only disadvantage I can see to this is that the numbers on the dial will be upside down and the shower hose will stick out of the top rather than hanging down below.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can you fell the left hand pipe getting hot as it should? If not turn the water off and disconnect the valve. Then turn on the hot or cold back on (slowly) and check that is the right way round, cold to the right.

It's the right hand pipe that heats up when the shower is running which is why I think it's plumbed in the wrong way around.

I'd just like to know if the shower is likely to work OK if I turn it upside down to get the hot and cold water going into the correct valves. I realise this isn't an ideal long term solution but it'll hopefully do the trick until we can afford to get it replaced or fixed properly.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try it and see, if it's not working just now it can't do any harm. It it works the other way round you'll know whats wrong :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back